Friday, May 4, 2012

First post op appointment with my surgeon (15 days post op)

Saw my surgeon for the first time after my surgery! He said my incision looked very good and had no signs of infection, yay! He was very pleased with how much I have been doing, but he did remind me to do everything in moderation and to not over-do it. They way he put it is, don't do too much that you have to use the next day to recover because then you're losing a whole day. I had no tingling or numbness/weakness in my legs or feet. He said that as the little bandage strips start to fall off of the incision, I can take them off, so that's exciting. HE said to try and see if I can do less medication, but if I need it, definitely take it; the sooner you can stop the meds the better off you are. I was cleared to drive at my comfort and with caution when on the pain killers. I drove home from the appointment (about a 45minute drive) but had some anxiety, but it was nice to drive. The pain that I was feeling at that point was a lot of pressure/pulling/sharp pain, I don't know how much that helps but that's the best way I can describe it. I feel tired often, and everything seems like such an effort. Things are getting easier, but at a VERY slow pace. I know this is still early to say, because all of the pain is still surgical pain, but I haven't had any of the shooting pain in my right leg since surgery (I had it frequently prior to surgery) so I am happy with that. The next time I see my surgeon (May 9th) I will have my first set of X-rays after surgery to see how everything is doing, and my brace will be discontinued (I can't wait!! Although, my surgeon said that everyone says that but once its gone they miss it and wish they still had it); and I believe I will be starting physical therapy shortly after that. So hopefully more good things are to come. Its emotional, and hard at times not having anyone who really understands your pain and having to rely on others for a lot and not being able to do much, but you have to try to keep an optimistic view and just know that if you could deal with the pain before, you can deal with this pain and it will get better. Oh, and ps- I really don't recommend wearing jeans, I tried and it irritated the incision a lot as well as being uncomfortable with the rubbing..just a warning. Here are some pictures of how the incision is doing: 


The middle of the incision looks open, but my surgeon said it was looking good (on a side note, my tattoo looks pretty well lined up!) :




No comments:

Post a Comment