Friday, May 4, 2012

1 month post op!!

Okay, so there are a lot of ups and downs with this. Every day is different from the last, and I could be doing great, and then have a setback. So with that said, I have started to try and take myself off of the pain meds, but I think I may have done it too quickly. I am really feeling everything now and am in a lot of pain, but again, this is still all of the surgical pain I am feeling. I'm sure that once I start physical therapy I will be feeling a new pain as well. This is all the process though, I knew going into this that it was going to get worse before it got better, but the part that made it okay, its the thought of feeling what its like to live without pain again; it has been so long (over 2yrs and 4months) since and I almost forget what it is like to not be in pain. So yes, there is a lot of pain, but the fact that it is going to get better and help me, makes it worth it. Everyday I try to do a little bit more than the last day. I don't really measure how far I walk, although I should start, but I know my limits and when my back doesn't want me to do something, trust me- it wont let me do it. Even if I'm slow to walk, I still am walking and am able to say that I am doing everything on my part to help with this healing process. The exercises that the physical therapist gave to me in the hospital, I am just now able to do. I couldn't sit with my legs straight out for a while because my muscles in the back of my legs were SO tense. If I have a rough night, I have a very slow start to the morning; but overall, I have been very pleased with how I am sleeping (its definitely a lot more than what I was getting before surgery). I got off topic before, but my meds are down to extra strength tylenol and flexoril as needed. I rarely take the vicodin anymore, however, if the pain is really bad, I take one. It feels good to say that I had a major spine surgery a month ago and I'm fighting through with just Tylenol. I started to get this weird pain in my right foot, out of nowhere, but it was very random and out of the blue so I don't know if it is related or not. Also, my mid back was getting a lot of pain if I moved a certain way, I hope its just me being tense and so restricted that my muscles are tight or something simple like that. The rain doesn't help either, I always feel extra pain and a lot more difficulty getting around. I am also very excited to say that I no longer use my walker or the commode (I forget when I stopped) but its awesome not using that, they were both very embarrassing to me. The car is still very uncomfortable and steps are also still painful. My left hip (where they took bone from) still has sharp bad pains, but its not all the time anymore so I can't complain. This is a long recovery, and there are days where I want to just give up because it frustrates me, but bring it on, there's nothing I can't handle at this point with all the pain and treatments I have been through. Little by little, there is no instant gratification or instant pain free life; this is a process, but hopefully one that will be worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment