Friday, May 4, 2012

1 week post-op!

Where to begin? The pain was still bad and I was still trying to figure out a good schedule for my medicines. I was taking two 5/500mg vicodin/acetamenophen every 4 hours and one 10mg flexoril every morning, mid day, and night. They definitely helped and eased the pain and made things easier, but when they wore off and while my next dose didn't kick in yet, I was not a happy camper! I used ice a lot to help with the pain too. The brace, you have to wear all the time except sleeping, is very annoying to say the least. It makes me SO hot and uncomfortable, but it does help to let me know what I can and can't do. Still depending on my walker to walk, unless its very very short distances- in that case I can do without it. The toilet commode helps a lot and I didn't realize how much until I had to use a bathroom without one! The car was still very very painful, even getting in and out is a big task.. Everyone was so impressed with how well I am getting up and how much I am walking/moving around. They don't realize how much pain and effort is involved so it gets frustrating at times but oh well.I still needed help with a lot, including getting dressed (I hated that, it was so degrading to me),getting in and out of cars, getting anything on the floor or low to the ground, etc. Still no appetite, I had to force myself to eat something though because taking the pain medicines without food really made me sick/feel horrible. Sleeping is okay, I was so scared that I was going to hurt my back that I would only sleep on my side with a body pillow to support me/to lean on (which I highly recommend); I was also waking up a few times during the night because my medicines wore off and I would be in pain. At night, I found it easier to bring the commode into the bedroom, it made things a little easier on me and at that point, anything to make things easier was necessary! No bandage on my incision, so I try to wear baggy/comfy clothes so nothing rubs on it or irritates it, and for comfort- anything to help me be more comfortable, I'm doing! The incision itself was sooo itchy!! As hard as it was, I just tried to ignore it. Oh, another recommendation I have that I didn't mention before: since you have to wear your brace in the shower (not fun, I know), I highly recommend taking a shower at night before bed, because you have to let the brace dry and letting it dry overnight is the easiest way. Hope this helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment