Friday, May 4, 2012

Background Info

Hey all, I'm 22years old and just had a spinal fusion at L5-S1 on March 20th, 2012. I wanted to give a little bit of background information first. I have never done a blog before, but when I was searching online for peoples blogs/stories before surgery, I had such a hard time finding someone to relate to, let alone something other than horror stories. So I hope I can help some of you guys out by sharing my story...here it goes!


On December 17th, 2009, I was in a pretty bad car accident. I was stopped at a red light and was hit from behind by someone who "wasn't looking at the road" who was going about 35-40mph. From that day on, was hell. I was working 2 jobs at the time, about to start school, and eventually planned on becoming a pediatric nurse. My life has been and still is on hold, with nothing in my control. After x-rays and MRI's, I was diagnosed with a herniated disk at L5-S1, a bulging disk at L4-L5, and a bulging disk with at L3-L4. My injuries were not limited to my back though, but I am only going to talk about my back on here. The pain was horrible and I went through SO many different treatments for over 2years including but not limited to: chiropractic treatments, epidural injections, trigger point injections, heat/cold therapy, physical therapy, facet nerve block injections, osteopathic manipulation treatments, and many different medicines. None of which helped, or lasted. I lost hope and my worst fear of having a spine surgery was one of my only options left...I literally tried everything, and had no relief at all. The pain continued to worsen and was unbearable. I'm trying to keep this "background" short...the pain got to the point where I was desperate and finally met with a surgeon for an opinion. He recommended surgery, but was too willing to say yes to surgery, I didn't feel comfortable with him. So I did some research and saw a different surgeon. His name is Dr. Lowe and he said surgery may be my only option BUT he wanted to make sure by giving me a discogram (very painful but worth it to find out exactly where the pain is coming from/finding out what the problem is exactly). It was definitely my L5-S1 disk that was causing the pain. He recommended a spinal fusion, where I would have bolts and rods and my spine would eventually fuse together at that spot. He was confident that it would let me live a pain free life once again. As terrified as I was, I knew it needed to happen. 


Since all of this was going through motor vehicle insurance, it was hell to get the surgery approved. Constant fighting and back and fourth, it was exhausting and they weren't budging. Almost a year later, I took matters into my own hands and got insurance through the state (medicaid, for 65or older or disabled- which was me). They covered the hospitals part, but not my surgeons part because he was not in their network. I was not willing to change my surgeon, I think that its extremely important to have a good surgeon that you're comfortable with and that you trust. I was lucky to have my aunt pay for my surgeons part, if not, I probably would not have gotten this surgery at all. I found all of this out, that the surgery was actually going to happen FIVE days before the date we tried to schedule it for. I didn't think I would be able to get everything done that I needed to do. I had to do pre-admissions testings at the hospital, get fitted for my back brace, and a few other things. We pulled it off though, I went from thinking I was never going to be able to get this surgery, to finding out that it was going to be happening in 5 days. I didn't have time to mentally prepare, and  looking online, the only stories I could find were horror stories. I was terrified to say the least.


In my next post, I will give some info that I found on the type of surgery that I got.

7 comments:

  1. Alicia, my name is Nikki and I am going through something very similar to your story! Let me just say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting such a detailed account of your experience. I was injured a little over 2 years ago also (July 2010, I got knocked down really hard, flat on my butt) and my back had not been the same since, and also, in May 2012 I fell on the same injury (at a roller rink, smart I know right?) After 2 years of pain and meds, physical therapy, ER visits, chiropractic care, non invasive treatments, trigger point injections, etc, I finally found an ortho surgeon who found my problem right away (L5-S1 herniated disc 13 mm) I am 23 and am going to be having this surgery soon, and as i was doing my internet research i was trying to find some comfort in patients who were my age and going through the same thing and I couldn't find anything until I came across your blog. Your tips and details from your experience really help me get prepared for mine, and I am not too scared because I've had surgeries in the past for other things so the hospital is like my 2nd home but this is the biggest surgery i've had since the appendectomy I had in the 90's (when the procedure involved cutting through stomach and not the simple 3 small incisions) I just wanted to say thank you and I will keep you updated about what and when they perform this. I hope you have been feeling better!

    Much love from Los Angeles, CA xoxo Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog as I was searching about PLIF. My doctor wants me to have this for L4, L5, and S1. From what I've read it's terrifying. I need it but not sure if I want to go through with it. Here's history. 58 yrs old, car accident 1 year ago, been through facet injections, rhizotomy, 4 epidural injections, all short term relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you. My husband, doctor and I decided it's time. I hurt my back Nov 2011 and I'm looking at an L5 single fusion and maybe more. That was the surgeon's opinion a year go. :-(. Your blog is just the type of preparation I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real story.My mom has beein using back brace She feels comfort now . Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for your detailed story dear Alicia. I have booked my L5/S1 spinal fusion for next month and I'm really scared about it. I took the decision to have this surgery after being in terrible pain for 2 years and is against my family's opinion of not having this surgery. Could you please tell me how you are feeling now following the fusion. Do you get any lysthesis related symptoms after the fusion. I hope you will see this and I'd would be very grateful if you could answer this. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete